Venetian wall mirrors are beautiful creations by glass masters of Murano. In addition, there is the gold glass mirror serving as bliss for mirror lovers. Gold is precious in itself. But, when it is applied to glass, it becomes more enchanting and renders a whole new appearance. Gilder’s liquor, a special type of liquor, is carefully applied to 24kt gold leaves on a glass surface. Once it binds, a chemical treatment turns the leaves into a reflective layer that transforms glass into a mirror. Gold glass mirrors are simply magical.
How to Identify Original Murano Glass Mirrors?
There are mainly 4 characteristics that will help you to identify the genuine Murano glass mirrors. They are as follows:
1. First look for imperfection: As real murano glass is handmade, it is natural to have some imperfections such as air bubbles or pontil marks.
• Air bubbles: When the technique of multi color layering is used, the artisans blow the colors separately and layer them on the top of each other. During this process, it is obvious that small air bubbles are created.
• Pontil marks: Pontil marks are a type of scars produced when the glass master breaks the Pontil rod of the finished blown Murano glass work. It is mainly found in the bottom of the hand blown artwork. By touching it with your hand, you can feel the surface is not smooth.
2. Proof of origin is important: Genuine Murano glass mirrors are only produced in the island of Murano, Italy. You can identify original Murano glass based on the signature of glass masters or certificate of authenticity.
• Signature of the glass master: Look for the signature of the glass master and you can check it online that it is really located in Murano or not. You can also compare the signatures that are displayed online.
• Certificate of origin sticker: You will find more than one sticker on the artwork as there are different certificates available.
3. Look for high quality: You should always look for the highest quality of glass. They include:
• Striking colors: Glass blowers are master in layering different colors of the molten glass, which is difficult to replicate with high quality and is easily identifiable.
• 24 carat gold: Glass masters are expert in infusing their glass pieces with 24 carat gold. Gold infusion is a special technique that is difficult to copy. The quality of raw materials is usually expensive which makes replication difficult.
4. Buy from a trusted source: If you want the original Venetian wall mirror, then try to buy from a trusted source. It would be great if you can visit Murano Island and buy it from there. If not, buy from a trusted online store.
Buy an authentic gold glass mirror from OriginalMuranoGlass.com and enjoy its beauty by mounting iton the wall of your home, office or restaurant. The online shop is well-known for its top-quality mirrors, chandeliers, beaded necklaces, glass home decor items, bowls, goblets, figurines, wine glass gift ideas, and many more. All are handmade in Murano, Italy.